An expansion for Superhot is coming soon, and it looks set to change up players expectations, while retaining the title's first-person formula. Superhot: Mind Control Delete is a standalone expansion set in the Superhot universe that looks to add a rogue-like element to the gameplay. The expansion doesn't have an official release date at this time, however it is entering Steam Early Access tomorrow, the 8th of December, 2017 (the 7th in the US), and will be free for current Superhot owners.
It is unknown if the free offer will extend to console editions of the title, and no word has been announced as to whether this standalone expansion will be coming to the Xbox One or PlayStation 4, however there is a Superhot Developer Stream occurring tomorrow (the 8th of December) at 5am here, where the dev team will be answering the communities questions.
It should also be noted that the team have mentioned that the full release is likely another 9-12 months away, and that the Early Access version of the title is being used to "help guide the development in its earliest stages" - doing so will also get your name in the credits.
The description from the expansions Steam page:
ONE OF US, ONE OF US. Still outnumbered, still outgunned. Enemies swirl around you in a storm of slow motion violence. Battle after battle, each fallen foe pushes you closer to the secrets hiding in the game. You feel an obsession set in. Good it’s just a game. Good you can just stop.
What to expect from the early access version of the expansion:
We’re still a good 9-12 months away from a full release, so please don’t forget that this is nowhere close to a complete, satisfying experience just yet. The current build of MIND CONTROL DELETE is the first time we’re inviting you to check out a few of the brand new gameplay systems that are going to be central to the game:
- First 2 playable MINDS, each with it’s own unique ability and gameplay modifiers
- A kaleidoscope of the first dozen new gameplay levels that mix into the first few dozen combat challenges
- New animation and AI systems to drive new weapons, abilities, and enemy types
- Hitpoint system and power-up store to give you that extra oompf needed to crush your enemies and see them driven before you
- Procedural rogue-like run generation baked into the core gameplay loop, enabling us to tell longer, more complex stories and deliver tons more of satisfying skill-based gameplay
Beware though - this is an extremely early, bleeding-edge version of most of those systems. The limitations for this early access build are not for the faint of heart:
- No story whatsoever - we don’t want to spoil too much too quickly so this and the next few updates will be all about gameplay features
- No advanced power-ups or new enemy types enabled yet - we want to establish and test the balance of vanilla gameplay in this build, waiting to sprinkle in gamebreaking modifiers and new foes to beat up until future updates
- No replay or point system - easy bragging about your insane skills will need to wait
- Absolutely no hidden menu minigames yet - we have so many new cool ones coming out super soon tho <3
Superhot: Mind Control Delete enters Early Access on PC via Steam on December 8th, 2017. No official release date at this time.