NZGamer.com to close

NZGamer.com to close

NZGamer.com is closing its doors. It's been a winding, weird, and often wonderful road for all of us covering the Kiwi gaming community, but that road has come to an end.

We started NZGamer.com to share the love of videogames. We’re proud to have fostered the local scene, creating one of the only gaming outlets that gave members real rewards via NZGamer.com VIP. We raised money for charities in some of our country’s darkest hours. We attended E3 and other major events to bring you Kiwi perspectives, and generated over 18,000 articles to keep you informed and entertained.

Ending the site wasn’t an easy decision but the realities of change have caught up with us. YouTube and Twitch have changed the whole industry. Many game publishers have also left New Zealand, leaving us struggling to keep ahead.

Thank you to all the writers who’ve contributed to NZGamer.com over the past 14 years. You lent your time, your skills, and your voice to great coverage. You’ve been part of gaming’s history in New Zealand, and many of you have already gone on to do amazing things in the wider industry.

Thank you also to everyone who’s been part of the NZGamer.com community. Without you this site would have been nothing more than a lonely set of bits on an internet server. Many of you created friendships that lasted for years, and seeing those connections form has been one of the best things about the whole project. The fact that we maintained our independence for as long as we did is a testament to the great people we’ve known, and the power of games to bring people together.

The website will continue to be available for the next couple of months - we want to ensure that we still provide a place for you - the community - to talk about your passions.

Once again thank you all, for everything.

NZGamer.com Senior Staff

Relevant Articles

Comments Comments (133)

Posted by Xenojay
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:04 PM
Goddammit...I never wanted this day to come but...goddammit...

Posted by drunk_monk
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:05 PM
Really sorry to lose my favorite gaming site. Best of luck to everyone for the future.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:12 PM
rip nzg, u werent v. good but i looked 2 sh*t post on ur forums

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:12 PM
Pretty sad news. I've enjoyed writing for the site, and being a small part of the community for the last few years. I'll miss sharing my voice, and I wish everyone involved with the site all the best in their adventures to come.

Thanks for everything Aaron, Shaun, Keith, Matt, and everyone at NZGamer.com. It's been a blast :)

Posted by Newsboy
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:14 PM
I was honestly hoping to eventually see Jerry and the Magical Cave eventually be unveiled on NZGamer.

It's been a pleasure writing for the site, but I'm definitely going to need an outlet for when Monster Hunter World comes out.....

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:15 PM
Well I got to go to Xbox HQ because of NZgamer so it was pretty good.
No ragrets

Posted by Falcone0
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:21 PM
This sucks. Big thanks and all the best to the staff and writers.

Posted by Telprydain
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:24 PM
My love of niche stuff meant I spent a lot of time elsewhere, but if I wanted a place to chat to kiwis or wanted a Kiwi perspective, this is where I'd come. Thanks to all those that put their blood, sweat and tears into the place.

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:29 PM
To say I am disappointed about the decision is a massive understatement, however, I understand the commercial realities that formed the basis of this difficult decision. Thank you to all the writers, admins, gaming night hosts and community members. It has been a blast.

Posted by pigeonqueen
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:31 PM
I've made tons of great friends thanks to nzgamer. So sad to hear that it's going to be coming to an end.

Posted by MadCant
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:33 PM
Gutted. sh*t happens I guess.

Thank you all for the all good times. Those of you who hang with me, I guess I'll see you all on PSN & whatever/wherever else...

Cheers NZG!

Posted by Dvst8u
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:44 PM
CRAZY i feel sad now.

Posted by OriginalSin
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:48 PM
Surely this was posted on the wrong date, I checked my calendar and it isn't April 1st.

Posted by atipuss
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 4:57 PM
I am so sad (like really sad) but totally understandable. Thank you for everything and for everyone here I have met and play games with!!!

Posted by that_black_guy
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:09 PM
Well, this sux

Posted by TenguNZ
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:12 PM
What :( .....wow thats sad! Hope there is a rethink from above and they realise there is still a place for NZGamer and opportunities to adapt..

Posted by Xaphriel
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:17 PM
It's been a pleasure guys. This was my first foray into games writing, on my favourite site, and I've loved every minute of it. I've made genuine friends through this, and it helped me to get my current job. See y'all on the other side.

GG, friends. GG.

Posted by Allycat
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:25 PM
Wait, what? Noooo!

Posted by CoffeeAddict
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:30 PM
Ah bollocks!! You guys have been great, loved having the kiwi perspective and good chat. I can I stand your reasoning given that I tend to get my info from YouTube sites (PSVR and Switch) I but this was the first site I have even been active in the forums. Cheers to everyone.

Posted by BlakeyNZ
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:33 PM
This is hugely dissapointing but I can see where its coming from. Thanks to NZGamer Ive become friends with some really good people who share my passions. When I came to New Zealand I didnt know anybody and while Ive only met one person in real life (Good Ol Teljam) Ive met people I'll speak to for a long time.

Ive won plenty (PS4 console included) and learnt so much more for which I cannot thank the team enough. May the months ahead be full of remembrance and not complete dissapointment.

Posted by CloudAxel16
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:34 PM
End of an era! NZGamer was one of my daily sites I visited. It'll be sorely missed. Thanks to all the writers and the community for the memories! I just wished I had at least reached gold VIP :(

Posted by Benny
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:44 PM
We lose NZG and net-neutrality in a single day?! The internet's all going to hell.

Thanks everyone for letting me sucept you to my insufferable and overzealous opinions. I'll definitely miss that XD

Posted by predatorhunter
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:48 PM
The internet just got a whole lot worse.

Thank you nzg for the years I go to spend with you
I have enjoyed my time here and have made some good friends.

I will miss the community here and hope we can live on though unofficial games nights.

Posted by supabowl
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:48 PM
Oh whaaaaat... Not NZGamer :(

Posted by Munkah
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:52 PM
RIP, an end of an era! I really enjoyed my time writing for this site. 2004 - 2015. A sad day for the local gaming community to be sure.

Posted by maceotago
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:52 PM
Noooooooooooo!!! Gutted!

Thank you guys, I've loved being part of this community. So many good times especially the multiplayer events in FIFA, Rugby Challenge and Project Cars.

Appreciate all your hard work, good luck!

Posted by souljah685
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:54 PM
What??? This is the only gaming site I love and a member of but what can I say... massive thank you for all the hard work you all have done to keep it running. All the best for the future and to the members: of there is another site you are a member of let me know please

Posted by LukeB
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 5:55 PM
15 December 2017, 05:44 PM Reply to Benny

To be fair, WE (NZ) didn't lose Net Neutrality, the USA did.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:04 PM
15 December 2017, 05:52 PM Reply to Munkah
Morg, the only person who DARED to review Bratz: Rock Angels.

Posted by ThatUndeadLegacy
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:24 PM
What, why? :L

Posted by cortez72
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:32 PM
This is very sad news, I don't know how long I've been with this site, check it on a daily basis. Didn't realise this was a thing that could happen to my favourite site.

Thank you for the winnings over the years, I won GT5 from you fine people, FEAR 2, can't think what else, but there was more. Got the opportunity to work on the Little Big Planet 2 media package with Eleven PR as a result of the competition run here. Made an awesome group of online friends through the NZGamer GTA nights.

Just gutted guys.

Posted by kiwiatlarge
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:42 PM
What!!! it's taken me ten years to get to Gold status (first joined the site during the online Resistance 2 days)... goddammit, I'm only 350 points away... lol

Well, I may not get involved much in gaming forums anymore, but during the mid to late 2000s this site and the official Playstation forums were a big part of my gaming life. I've even met a couple of people, and consider one of them a friend.

Perhaps the one memory of the community I really will never forget was winning an invite to Wellington to a PS4 exclusive event before the console was officially released. A small group of us got to chat, eat, drink, and play demo machines of many of the launch titles, such as Knack, AC Black Flag, Killzone.

NZGamer and Playstation NZ must have got wind that the mrs and I flew up and grabbed a night accomodation at the Copthorne just to be there, so they gifted me a copy of the Joel and Ellie The Last of Us statue that came in the US Collectors bundle.. Absolutely stoked by that (being a massive, and I mean massive Naughty Dog/Uncharted/The Last of Us fan).. The fun part was carrying it around Wellington all day the next day after vacating the Copthorne, as our return flight wasn't until late afternoon, lol... (just fit into the cubby on the Airbus, although it was technically bigger than they are supposed to allow for onboard luggage)

Damn.. The PS3 based era of my gaming life has finally wound down to a close.. :/

Posted by RSNZ64
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:44 PM
Woah this came out of no where? Or was I just not laying attention. Sad to see the site go. Thanks to all that have contributed to the site! It has always been a great place to hang out and read.

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:49 PM
15 December 2017, 06:24 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
What, why? :L
probably because they got sick of seeing your comments :^))))

Posted by Jonathan-OverWorld
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:49 PM
What?? Thats lame as! :(

I really liked the community here, its way less toxic and PC centric than the other sh*tty NZ forum. :(

Gonna miss having a nice place to visit for my local NZ gaming info, Laaaame.

Thanks to all who ran the place, I'm very sad to see it go.

Posted by iludez
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:51 PM
Nooooooo! No more gaming nights???
Dang it

Posted by Ron
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 6:57 PM
So lovely to see all the comments thus far. The staff and myself really appreciate it ;-). We do have a couple of plans for stuff potentially, but for now we're just going to take a few days to take a break, reflect and we'll address any comments/questions you have.

Posted by 163Battery
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 7:33 PM
That is a real shame. I really enjoyed the articles and game nights. Played multiplayer of some games in some modes that I would never have bothered with before. Sad to see it go.

Posted by ironfist92
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 8:02 PM
What...what,,,what?! Nooooo!

Posted by Syn-Ryn
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 8:09 PM
sh*tposting aside, you've always been pretty cool NZG, thanks for the last ten years everyone

Posted by zero2nothing
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 8:19 PM
I've only been here for a couple years or so I think, but was really happy to find this place to play games with like minded people. Hardly anyone I hang around with actually has a PS4 and I wanted to play online with kiwis. This has been awesome and sad to see it go.

I don't play many community events anymore but my biggest time here was playing GTA:O on PS3 and then PS4. I still have all the videos I made, be cool to have a remembrance thread. To the handful of players who's names I can actually remember, it was almost always a damn pleasure. Peace

Posted by SkylineObsession
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 8:33 PM
I know it's not free to run a website/forum as i've been doing so for years myself, but i'm very disappointed that there was no community consultation to explain the situation before you decided to just get rid of the whole thing.

NZG is one of the least toxic gaming communities around, and definitely the nicest NZ one, and all that will be lost when it goes.

Not sure what your operating costs are, but i'm sure the regulars here could chip in a few bucks to keep it running each year.
And if its the VIP system draining the money - then dump the prize aspect of it.

Writers may or may not (don't know obviously) still be keen to keep the main page updated with articles, and those of us who do regular gaming nights need a decent place to chat about it all as PSN etc chats aren't as good as forums.

DOn't give up on a good thing without fighting for it first! Or let someone else take over!

Posted by kentnz
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 8:49 PM
Long time lurker, short time poster. You will be missed!

Posted by jmduknz
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 8:56 PM
Bugger,
It’s a shame. I’ve also really enjoyed the site, distilling what’s happening into brief articles with a kiwi perspective. Hope you’ve got brighter things on the horizon.

Posted by AdamC
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 9:32 PM
Is this because NZ Declared Loot Boxes Not Gambling? Or Because the switch was selling well? Or is it the Ni No Kuni delay that did it? I don't underrstand! Stop giving so much away if that fixes it! Thanks for the stuff I have gotten! And thanks for providing a place where I found the GTA Crew!

Posted by twisterjamz
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 9:35 PM
15 December 2017, 06:57 PM Reply to Ron
Can’t believe its been 9 years since I first joined NZG, really enjoyed my time here, from showing you who was better at Modern Warfare 2 ahahaha, from working with Terry in the beginning stages of the Game Nights, even from when I created that thread back when I first joined asking who else watched Barney when they were younger.

All the best on you and the teams future endeavours.

Posted by ChieftaiNZ
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 10:20 PM
15 December 2017, 09:32 PM Reply to AdamC
I think its because they gave Infinite Warfare a better score then Battlefield One.

Posted by toner
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 10:25 PM
Sigh.... it's been about six hours since I heard the news, processed and mourned, and I just want to say:

Thank You.

Thank you to NZGamer.com for giving me a chance to write about something I'm passionate about. Thanks especially to Shaun, Aaron and Keith for keeping the site running smoothly and for always providing feedback to help us improve as writers - you guys put more heart & soul into this site than anyone else.

Thank you, to the other writers on the site. It's always a joy for me to read the occassional email thread sh*t talk on fridays that come with the schedules. I admired all your writing, and hopefully I can see your work continue to be published. I will continue to follow everyone to see what you get up to.

And finally, thank you, to the many patrons of this site. I appreciate the time you spent reading articles here written by us, taking the time to comment - it means more to us than you think, and while you may disagree with what we say sometimes, thank you for keeping it civil and keeping this site enjoyable - we write stuff for you just as much as we did for ourselves.

And to EA, stop f**king me around and give me Skate 4 already. And if you put microtransactions in that game, I swear to God.......

Posted by emetic
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 10:54 PM
Oh... that's pretty sad. The end of an era, i guess.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 10:57 PM
I've got so many questions, I'm in denial, it can't be! I've only been here for a little over 4 years I dont want this to end!

Posted by ThatUndeadLegacy
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 11:17 PM
15 December 2017, 06:49 PM Reply to Syn-Ryn
probably because they got sick of seeing your comments :^))))
oh my you're so toxic and unwelcoming, that's probably why :D

Posted by Paorio
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 11:24 PM
This sucks, I was just getting comfortable in the community, ah well, thank you for bringing us together to share opinions and interact with one another, this has been the least toxic public online community I've even been a part of. Thank you for everything!

Posted by baileynz
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 11:27 PM
Such a shame, best of luck in the future for all the staff and writers.

Posted by citysoldier
On Friday 15 Dec 2017 11:45 PM
Yeah that's a shame but you had a good run. Thanks for running a great site. Merry Christmas guys

Posted by Unfathomable-Ruination
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 12:17 AM
Wait, what!? I haven't been here that long, but this is one of the best communities I've been part of. Good luck for the future all.

Posted by Elours
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 12:24 AM
Ohhh no! Thank you so much for all you have done everyone involved, although I'm not all that active through commenting etc I've always loved reading through the new articles. Best wishes for the future

Posted by captain X nz
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 1:25 AM
Shame, I gravitated here after buttonmasher started to fade, having seen a fair few of the members here.

Its been a good run and always good to see a great community spirit, one of my earliest memories is scoring Brothers in Arms in a random compo, happy days.

Best wishes for your collective futures Team and Readers.

Posted by captain X nz
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 1:26 AM
15 December 2017, 04:14 PM Reply to Newsboy

Happy to help on both counts if I can.

Posted by Booker_T_SUCKAAA
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 7:33 AM
Thank you for the memories NZGamer. Thank you for the free stuff that I've won over the years. It's always been a great place to hang out with like minded folk. All the best for your future endeavours. Again, thank you.

Posted by NZBuc
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 8:06 AM
Like everyone else here - sad it’s wrapping up, but thankful for all the good times, and good people I’ve met (not to mention the luck with prizes I’ve had from here!)

Posted by SilverStrummer
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 8:15 AM
Very sad to hear this. This is the only major NZ gaming site that I still follow. Thank you all you guys who still kept the site running f0r us folks here and representing the NZ gaming scene!

Posted by WCMC13
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 8:32 AM
This sucks - my whole morning routine was getting to work and logging onto the forums. Meet some many great people to play with and loved the whole NZ perspective on gaming NZG brings.

Posted by bahamut_zero
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 8:57 AM
Very sad to see you go :(
I haven't posted in many years but I had some really good times here and met some great people. Thank you for that. All the best to everyone involved.

Posted by sakuraba
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 9:12 AM
This is sad news I got to meet a bunch of cool kiwi gamers because of you guys.

Posted by rcvillamor3
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 9:27 AM
Wow! That’s a shock. I’ve been a gamer as far as I can remember. But I have been a NZ gamer 10 years since movinh here. This site is part of my “refresh” morning. Those site you refresh every morning to get the latest news, this is one of them sites. Thanks NZ gamer for this great site. It’s been a blast. I hope you guys will pop up somewhere like a Facebook page or YouTube channel to continue this thing. You all got our email addresses right. Rock on, game on!

Posted by Overdrive5000
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 9:39 AM
this is a bit of a surprise :(

Posted by guido
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 9:59 AM
The grief is real!

Posted by guido
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 10:05 AM
The grief is real! (reposting because error?)
DENIAL: Noooooooooooooooooo! This isn't happening!?!
ANGER: god dammit f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**kity f**k!
BARGAINING: come on guys, set up a patreon! Get Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo NZ to fund it, it's in their interests to foster a place like this. Do SOMETHING dammit!
DEPRESSION: ok, officially sad now :-(
ACCEPTANCE: No! I will not accept this! I'm going back to anger dammit! Try and f**king stop me!

This was the one place you could come and have a decent gaming related discussion and not have to deal a bunch of idiots! I would read news on other sites but it was always always here that I came to to comment on the issues of the day and read what other intelligent and insightful people had to say. NZG will be sorely missed! I sincerely hope you find a way to save this site and more importantly save the community which is by far the best I have ever encountered online!

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 10:11 AM
Having just woken up to see/read this it's like a nightmare come to life.....This news truly is such a shame...Totally understand that things change and these things happen though.

I have made many online friends here and enjoyed many a conversations and gaming nights with them over the years. This is truly the best gaming website NZ has and it's such a shame to see this is happening. I would like to thank all the staff and the community for making this place so awesome. I hope that whatever yáll get up to in the future goes well.

Thanks for the memories. You have and always will rock and be able to be proud of what you achieved here with NZGamer. Thank You Thank You Thank You.

Posted by trun39
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 11:14 AM
I'm sad and surprised to see this. Where will I go for kiwi gaming? Will miss the site, but all the best for the staff.
Thanks for all of your amazing content and hard work.

Posted by Outlaw213
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 11:28 AM
Is there a way to save NZG? Donations? Is there anything we can do!?

Posted by lax1
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 11:45 AM
NZGamer is one of the only sites I visit daily (and pretty much the only gaming site), so this will leave a big hole. Agree, it's waaayyyyyyy less toxic than another nz game site, where a fight would seem to break out after 2 comments.

There a real, genuine sense of community here, which is evident by the way members look out for reach other, welcomed newbies and would just "agree to disagree" without getting out of hand. I didn't post much, and don't get to play as much as I use to or would like, as sometimes other things in life take priority. Hopefully that will change, and am looking forward to the day I can pick up a controller with my son (when he's old enough) for some split screen sh*ts & giggles.

The sentiment shown here is a testament that while gaming can mean many different things to different people, NZG has always been a safe place to express, share and engage on everything from parenting tips to politics.

NZG is much more than a gaming site, and for that the staff, mods, contributors and members should be very, very proud.

Posted by Bank
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the things NZGamer.
From reading the comments, it's clear this was a place for a lot of gamers that exclusively made this their home, and it will be missed.

Posted by that_black_guy
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 12:18 PM
I'm with Outlaw. Is there any chance we, the community can do anything to help save the site? This is really the only site I frequently visit... and I don't think there's another gaming community anywhere quite like this one.

Posted by Strangepom
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 12:19 PM
Wait wut?!?

Oh....

Thanks for the competitions and all the hard work and effort you put in, giving extra goals and motivation (in game and irl) for NZ gamers was probably what I enjoyed most

Posted by chinaman71
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 2:01 PM
Damn..... thanks for the hard work over the years guys

Posted by kniteowl
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 2:03 PM
It’s a shame to lose my new daily haunt so soon. I wish I had gotten to know it earlier. Thank you for all you have done so far.

Posted by Silvon
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 2:06 PM
Very sad news.

I've enjoyed being a part of this community and meeting people through here. Thank you for everything you've provided for us over the years.

A very sad time indeed. I will definitely miss this place and all the good times.

Posted by ChimeraNZ
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 2:30 PM
Very sad news but thank you NZGamer for everything! Had some great yarns and met some cool peeps through the Xbox community nights (and a few awesome prizes :) ).

All the best to everyone!

Posted by jtbthatsme
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 3:04 PM
Seems to be a common sentiment here that if there's something the community could do to help save this site that we'd sure as hell be willing to try pull it off.....

I know obviously the decision has been a hard one to make but if it's about $$$ I can be quite certain that as a community we might be able to band together with a givealittle page or something to try help keep it going....Plus lets be honest there's probably more than a few businesses that might be able to help actually sponsor or donate a bit towards this.....

Please don't leave us hanging if there's a glimmer I reckon our community might be able to turn that into the brightest of stars. You guys and gals at NZGamer have done so much for us over the years and it would be fantastic if there was a way we could give back to help save this amazing site....Even if some things had to be cut back a little. I'd rather keep the a NZGamer lite site here than lose it altogether.

So have a think about it....talk amongst eachother or at least let us know if there's something we can do...If not we'll still understand and we will still miss you all madly.

Posted by iludez
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 3:25 PM
Such a bloody shame. Hopefully if we cant save it somehow. We could make another place to chat and sort out gami g nights etc.

Posted by YobboNZ
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 3:42 PM
Rather sad about this.
Joined up, met a few fellow Forza racers, Mo0ser and Teljam standing out in that department.
Just loved Teljam and his sheer determination every Tuesday, pretty sure it was a Tuesday, not to come last in every race.
Think we even let him win a few just so he'd be more generous in his prize giving.
Here's hoping some of the suggestions to keeping this place going get looked into.

Posted by Deanology
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 5:32 PM
Damn, that's some sad news, guys.
Thanks for everything you've done to keep it going this long.

RIPRIPRIRPIRPIRPRIPRIRPIRPIRRIP

Posted by djshinra
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 5:37 PM
Thank you Nzgamer for all your hardwork over the years. I've enjoyed my time over the last 10+ years stopping in for a quick read and jamming with people in the community nights. All the organisers and staff have a good one! Keep the fun times rolling :).

Posted by ademorg
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 6:08 PM
What are we going to do without you NZGamer.com :(

Posted by ByrdmanNZ
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 8:00 PM
It's a sad day :(

Posted by Emerson15
On Saturday 16 Dec 2017 9:22 PM
It will be sad to see you go NZG. The community here is just so much more positive than any other games based forum I have encountered. Good luck with the next projects in your lives team.

Posted by ALK3MiST
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 12:10 AM
You guys gave me my first ever video game related prize and I was hela excited about it.. I think I'd sent 2 or 3 emails because I wasnt sure if you had gotten the first lol.

I don't know if its a kiwi thing or not, but this site was just alot more chilled and less toxic than the rest.

Thnx for everything NZG and good luck to everyone moving forward.

Posted by Nzdivaz021
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 12:55 AM
Guttered

Posted by tuftsdude
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 8:57 AM
Sad news indeed. Even if it's mainly the forums, it is one of the few sites I visit daily. I don't know how many years it has been but I learned a lot from the folks on the forums (believe it or not) and matued quite a bit from my dweeb years. I sometimes go to the old posts from a few years back and ohhh the cringe. Game nights were really good when I went to them, especially back on the 360 days. But the best thing about NZG is the great community, which wouldn't be here without your efforts, so thank you. I hope someone can be done to keep the site up once you've finished your break, if not, all the best to the NZG team.

Lads, it was nice spamming the forums while it lasted!

Posted by Waltman
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 9:45 AM
Really sad news guys :( Had some amazing times with NZGamer and the community over the years. Thanks for all the amazing staff for making such an dope NZ based gaming site and community <3

Posted by RKO_NZ
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 1:05 PM
This is so sad, Been a member since 2009. Seven long years and thought there were gonna be more =(. Joined on a whim to enter some competition for some Resident Evil movie tickets, then took park in a Halo 3 community night and it ensnared me into the forums and I've met some really cool people, won some free games and had a place to go when I was bored at work or home to have a browse and banter with other likeminded gamers.

I really will miss this place, I honestly cannot recall any other site that I would visit on the daily to check in and see what was going on in the community, Because sites like Facebook were always full of lies and bullsh*t and negetivity, but not here, NZgamer was an escape from all the dark and nasty.

Posted by shadowshaded
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 2:15 PM
Oh no this is not good news....Thanks for everything you provided and good luck in future endeavours

Posted by piratemonkey
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 4:06 PM
So long and thanks for all the fish

Posted by SouthSieeda
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 6:31 PM
I've been playing the video games since I was about 10 or 11 years old, and I never felt a real sense of community about it until my love of GTA Online made me stumble across this website. I've rarely had as much fun as I've had hanging out with my mates on a Sunday evening, and we all owe it to NZGamer. So thanks for being there for as long as you were.

Posted by ricky1981
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 7:24 PM
In the words of Jack Bauer - "dammit Chloe!!"

Hugely disappointing as there are some awesome people both on the NZGamer staff and in the community. Any chance of finding out the monthly cost to keep at least the forums ticking over? I'd gladly chip in.

Posted by my_r32
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 11:03 PM
This is very sad news to arrive home to :( A big shock to be honest. Thanks for all the gaming nights and prizes but thanks just for providing the platform where we can meet up with like minded people, have lively discussions and game every week :)

Posted by dsinnz
On Sunday 17 Dec 2017 11:45 PM
no it was my dream to work for you guys!

Posted by atomichicken
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 12:09 AM
Is there any way we can pick up where you guys are leaving off? This community is something unique and the best thing I have been ever involved in during the couple of decades Ive been gaming online. I don't want to see it die.

Posted by AdamC
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 7:22 AM
Hoping for news today about how it’s a big not funny joke

Posted by Blackfox
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 8:42 AM
this is very unfortunate, really gonna mis this gaming hub

Posted by I3ridgeI3urner
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 9:26 AM
Noooo; I'll never get to GOLD forum status now! Best wishes to the staff and I hope you can all find new avenues to pursue, either in game reporting or elsewhere.

Posted by predatorhunter
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 9:49 AM
18 December 2017, 07:22 AM Reply to AdamC
Hoping for news today about how it’s a big not funny joke
if only that were true.

Posted by czk51
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 10:01 AM
Sad to hear! Thanks for the good times NZG + Community. All the best with future endeavours!

Posted by sassydot
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 10:19 AM
Wow this is crazy. Hopefully one of the things they are considering is keeping the forums running, especially with this level of response!
Joined here via a facebook post for a n00bs forza night, I was so n00b the game hadn't even fully installed yet. That was a pretty low point in my life and the distraction that came with the games and the great people i met in the forums were pretty valuable in getting through that.
Met many awesome people here, many of whom I consider friends, and one I decided I wanted to share my life with, so that's pretty cool
Thanks NZG!

Posted by siamese
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 10:21 AM
Gutted! NZGamer is really the only gaming website I visit. Got a feeling that the online community will drop off big time once there are no forums to organise gaming nights etc on.

Cheers for the good times NZGamer.

Posted by iludez
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 11:18 AM
If you guys are really going. Go out with a bang and make it an awesome gaming night event or something.

Posted by GETMONGED_187
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 2:17 PM
I wouldn't have a headset if it wasn't for your gaming nights and awesome prizes. Thanks for the mems, wish I had found this place a lot earlier.

Posted by SpawnSeekSlay
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 3:48 PM
A sad day that I never saw coming. Will miss the community here...
Best of luck to every one of the team at NZG!
Hopefully we can find some alternative or forum to keep contact, and keep the NZG community going in some way.

Posted by guido
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 4:49 PM
18 December 2017, 09:49 AM Reply to predatorhunter
if only that were true.
Yeah, I've been refreshing the front page hoping for something, anything, to pop up……

Posted by drunk_monk
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 4:54 PM
18 December 2017, 04:49 PM Reply to guido
I keep coming to the front page expecting news, and only finding sadness.

Posted by ReaperCrew
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 6:23 PM
I don't speak for the staff, however, if this is something that you don't want to see happen, I encourage you to speak up, let your voice be heard and maybe a way forward can be found.

Posted by Rocky1986
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 8:32 PM
Man thats really ratsh*t. Cheers for everything. Where does a community like this go????

Posted by Meanvision
On Monday 18 Dec 2017 9:27 PM
Wow- I wasent expecting that news- I just got to gold as well

Posted by predatorhunter
On Tuesday 19 Dec 2017 7:55 AM
18 December 2017, 04:54 PM Reply to drunk_monk
I keep coming to the front page expecting news, and only finding sadness.
I still have hope.
Likely to be shattered but it's there.

Posted by palmania
On Tuesday 19 Dec 2017 10:44 AM
I AM IN SHOCK!!!!!!

Posted by Gonzala
On Tuesday 19 Dec 2017 7:12 PM
Sad. Was not expecting this to happen.

Posted by atomichicken
On Tuesday 19 Dec 2017 9:12 PM
15 December 2017, 08:33 PM Reply to SkylineObsession

Ive pretty much been absent since ive stopped playing online multiplayer regularly for the past year or so (except for a misguided stint playing Mass Effect Andromeda for a few months....) but would be happy to contribute a few dollars a month to keeping this community alive....

Posted by KiwiSharp
On Tuesday 19 Dec 2017 9:31 PM
Sad to hear. A great site and a great community. Thanks everyone!

Posted by Jono91
On Wednesday 20 Dec 2017 9:31 AM
I'm so sorry to read this! I have really enjoyed the time spent on this site. I didn't interact too much or do many community game nights, but still enjoyed my time here. It's the only exclusive gaming site I'd visit on the daily and the fact it was Kiwi, was a massive bonus. I actually feel a little lost now... I don't know any of you personally, but have interacted with several of you on here over the years... always found this site to be friendly and entertaining without any of the nastiness or grief given by some on other sites I would visit.

I'd love to know which website this community might gravitate towards now, so I can tag along.... Coz you're all such good b*astards!

Also, thanks NZG... I'm sure this decision wasn't made lightly. Am happy I got to spend as much time here as I did.

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Posted by gspcdNZ
On Wednesday 20 Dec 2017 7:17 PM
I'm honestly a bit gutted. Although I haven't contributed for a little while (having a family distracts you from gaming) I always valued the kiwi perspective and the forums were awesome.

If we haven't already, can we please set up a reddit channel and continue the chat over there?

Good luck to everyone who worked for NZG. This place will be gone, but never forgotten because of you. x

Posted by Moeggo
On Wednesday 20 Dec 2017 8:55 PM
Where is the Vader Noooooooo! Meme when you need it?

Question is there any chance of leaving the forums open or maybe handing it over to someone that is willing to up keep it? This is a great community and I would hate so the forums end where everyone can arrange gaming sessions etc...

Posted by ThatUndeadLegacy
On Wednesday 20 Dec 2017 11:32 PM
so many people here, and still you shut it down?

Posted by predatorhunter
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 8:58 AM
20 December 2017, 11:32 PM Reply to ThatUndeadLegacy
so many people here, and still you shut it down?
im sure it was a decision that wasn't made lightly.

Posted by Jono91
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 9:24 AM
20 December 2017, 08:55 PM Reply to Moeggo
Where is the Vader Noooooooo! Meme when you need it?

The theme that is repeatedly mentioned here in the comments is that we all don't want this community to dissolve. I like some of the ideas being suggested.... Reddit threads, taking over the forums on here.

I'd really love to keep this NZG community together too. Does anyone else have any ideas on what could be done or where we could go to keep it alive?

Posted by teljam
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 10:02 AM
This is an end of an era for kiwi gamers. I’d like to say a big thanks to Aaron and Shaun especially for your support in allowing me to set up the community gaming group. Many of you have (and still do) play in these nights - it’s been a blast. Also more recently, thanks to Keith for allowing me to keep involved with some reviews after I went through a bit of major personal change. The biggest thank you from me though goes to you, the community - over the years I got to know so many of you great folk and it’s been a privilege serving you all. Here’s hoping there’s some folks out there who can find a way to keep the community going in the future. Ciao for now. Terry

Posted by guido
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 10:39 AM
The best idea would be to get control of the forums / move them over to a free service but there's a subreddit /r/NZgamers that looks basically abandoned / is owned by /u/AtTheSameTimeGaming who doesn't seem active on reddit in the last few years. I don't reddit well, does anyone know if we can claim that sub? Or just start a new one I guess? /r/exNZgamers ??

Posted by cortez72
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 1:26 PM
21 December 2017, 10:39 AM Reply to guido
May I suggest 'NZGamerLegacy' as a title for us lost souls/forum/Reddit'ors?

Posted by MonkeyMan
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 5:37 PM
I get back from holiday to this :(
How is life even going to work with nzgamer

Posted by ptys
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 9:20 PM
Sorry to hear as NZ does need a gaming presence. Hope something can still be salvaged from the closure perhaps a new site that has a wide reach outside of New Zealand.

Posted by jub-jub
On Thursday 21 Dec 2017 9:50 PM
Stink. Thanks for the community you created. Great times.

Posted by Inferis
On Saturday 23 Dec 2017 11:31 PM
Cheers for all the honest reviews and sweet comps over the years! You will be missed.

Posted by Zephyr
On Monday 25 Dec 2017 4:09 PM
I'm very sad to hear this site is closing :'-( It's been an excellent ride and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Thanks very much for the info you've imparted over the years, the fun you've provided and the love of gaming that you've fostered and shared. I wish all of you the best for future endeavours and may you succeed in anything you take on. We will miss you. Thank you.